The work of the Strategic Posture Commission appears to be proceeding. After some scheduling hiccups (I am being kind), the first full meeting was held at USIP on June 17.
Dr. Perry had earlier convened a smaller meeting on May 19 without most of the commissioners. In attendance were Vice Chairman James Schlesinger, Commissioner Keith Payne, Ash Carter and USIP President Richard Solomon. They made some decisions on behalf of the committee and met with Senator Sessions and Representative Tauscher, as well as the liaisons from Defense, DNI, Energy, and State.
One of the decisions made was the to establish five “expert working groups” chaired by non-commissioners:
• National security strategy and policies (Dr. Ashton Carter)
• Deterrent force posture of the United States (ADM Dennis Blair)
• Nuclear infrastructure (Ambassador Linton Brooks)
• Countering WMD proliferation and terrorism (Dr. Arnold Kanter)
• External conditions and trends (Dr. Gordon Oehler)
Some of these folks had lobbied to be on the Commission; perhaps this was a clever way of expanding the Commission membership.
The EWG leaders were also provided “suggested” experts for their working groups and questions to address, which were in turn presented, somewhat as a fait accompli, to the Commissioners last week.
I’d love to get a hold of both the list of working group “experts” and the list of questions — hint, hint.
armscontrolwonk [at] gmail.com